[ES_JOBS_NET] Earth Sciences Job Email list
jennifer at adclub.com
Mon Nov 11 11:18:57 MST 2013
Please include the below job opportunity in the Earth Science Job Email List.
Company Name: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Location: Berkeley, CA
Climate Change Postdoctoral Fellow (Tropics) - 76311
Organization: ES-Earth Sciences
The Climate Sciences Department in the Earth Sciences Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) has an exciting opportunity for a postdoctoral researcher to study climate change impacts on tropical forests. An important goal of this work will be the improvement and testing of forest ecosystem models in ESMs. We seek talented applicants with strong skills in (1) terrestrial ecosystem model development and algorithm coding; (2) the application of models to address complex questions at the interface of land-atmosphere interactions, ecosystem processes, vegetation demography, and ecophysiology; (3) sensitivity analysis and uncertainty quantification; and (4) the analysis and interpretation of large complex datasets (e.g., CMIP5). Specific research questions include:
Q1: What are the key uncertainties associated with the old-growth tropical forest carbon sink and how can we improve model treatment of these processes?
Q2: How do land models currently treat drought-induced mortality, and what structures are required to improve forest response to altered precipitation patterns?
Q3: How will shifts in gap-phase dynamics and community composition under elevated disturbance regimes act to amplify climate system feedbacks?
The successful applicant will join a large dynamic multi-disciplinary department that is making climate and carbon cycle observations, and developing and applying ecosystem, atmospheric process, and climate models. LBNL is a renowned center of scientific expertise in many facets of climate-related fundamental and applied science. The position is open immediately.
• Coding, development and use of state-of-the-art terrestrial ecosystem models to address complex Earth system questions
• Uncertainty and sensitivity quantification, and the use of existing experimental and observational datasets to evaluate existing and novel model structures and parameterizations
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
• Author peer-reviewed journal articles and contribute to grant proposals
• Ph.D. in an appropriate discipline
• Graduate Student or Postdoctoral research experience in ecosystem modeling and/or analysis and interpretation of complex datasets
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Established record of peer reviewed articles
• Preferred - Research activities focused on tropical forests
• Preferred - Specific modeling skills in ecosystem demography, dynamic vegetation, plant water relations, ecophysiology, gap dynamics, and related processes
Notes: This is a 1-year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal for up to 5 years based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://bit.ly/lbl76311EarthSciJob and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
Ad Club Advertising
Toll Free: 800.333.1228
Toll Free Fax: 800.759.4675
jennifer at adclub.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net