[ES_JOBS_NET] Earth Sciences Job Email list
jennifer at adclub.com
Mon Nov 11 11:18:35 MST 2013
Please include the below job opportunity in the Earth Science Job Email List.
Company Name: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Location: Berkeley, CA
Ecosystem Postdoctoral Fellow (Climate Uncertanties) - 76310
Organization: ES-Earth Sciences
The Climate Sciences Department in the Earth Sciences Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) has an exciting opportunity for a postdoctoral researcher to analyze interactions between tropical ecosystems and the atmosphere, and to use those analyses to inform observational and experimental needs for land model improvement. The project will involve analysis of Earth System Model (ESM) predictions, development of observationally-based model benchmarks, and land model development. We seek talented applicants with skills in (1) application of ESMs to analyze land-atmosphere interactions, ecosystem processes, and demography; (2) sensitivity analysis and uncertainty quantification; (3) quantification of feedback processes; (4) terrestrial ecosystem model development and algorithm coding; and (5) the analysis and interpretation of large complex datasets (e.g., CMIP5).
The successful candidate may focus on several groups of important tropical ecosystem and atmospheric interactions and analyses, including: (1) sensitivity experiments to mimic experimental manipulations; (2) conducting global model experiments to test the sensitivity of tropical forests to increasing atmospheric CO2, nutrient limitation, rising temperature, and land use change; (3) investigating multi-model tropical ecosystem responses to climate change; (4) testing improvements to the representation of nutrient limitations relevant to tropical regions; and (5) identifying tropical ecoregions and representativeness of potential sampling locations. The successful applicant will join a large dynamic interdisciplinary department that is making climate and carbon cycle observations and developing and applying ecosystem, atmospheric process, and climate models. LBNL is a renowned center of scientific expertise in many facets of climate-related fundamental and applied science. The position is open immediately.
• Experience with coding, development and use of state-of-the-art terrestrial ecosystem models to address complex Earth system questions
• Uncertainty and sensitivity quantification, and the use of existing experimental and observational datasets to evaluate existing model structures and parameterizations
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
• Author peer-reviewed journal articles and contribute to grant proposals.
• Ph.D. in an appropriate discipline
• Graduate Student or Postdoctoral research experience in ecosystem modeling and/or analysis and interpretation of complex datasets.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Established record of peer reviewed articles
• Preferred: Research activities focused on tropical forests
• Preferred: Specific modeling skills in ecosystem demography, dynamic vegetation, plant water relations, ecophysiology, gap dynamics, and related processes
Notes: This is a 1-year term appointment with the possibility of renewal for up to 5 years based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://bit.ly/lbl76310EarthSciJob and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
Ad Club Advertising
Toll Free: 800.333.1228
Toll Free Fax: 800.759.4675
jennifer at adclub.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net