[ES_JOBS_NET] Assistant Director of Research and Operations - Southern Ocean Research Center at Princeton University
lrossi at Princeton.EDU
Thu Apr 25 12:29:35 MDT 2013
This is a new Assistant Director position available at Princeton
University. The funding will be for a minimum of five years. Ph.D.
preferred but not required.
*_POSITION_**:**Assistant Director of Research and Operations **-
Southern Ocean Research Center*
*_REPORTS TO_**:Director, Southern Ocean Research Center *
*_SUMMARY OF POSITION_**:*
Princeton University is establishing a new interdisciplinary research
center to conduct groundbreaking research on the southern ocean and to
determine its influence on climate.The Southern Ocean Research Center
will involve multiple principle investigators from Princeton and other
major research institutions and participate in international observation
and simulation efforts.
The Assistant Director of Research and Operations is a newly created
senior position reporting to the Southern Ocean Research Center's
Director.This individual will be charged with leading, managing, and
optimizing the administrative functions of this new Southern Ocean
Research Center and facilitating its overall goals.
The Assistant Director of Research and Operationswill play a critical
role in the successful day-to-day operation and long-term sustainability
of the Southern Ocean Research Center, and act as principal
administrator and outreach liaison, managing program activities for the
Center's faculty, students, and staff to ensure that the research and
development projects move forward and goals are achieved.
*_PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES_**: *
Additional responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
*Research Implementation and Management *
* Establish and execute the Center's implementation plan for: (1)
Southern Ocean float based observations and state estimation; (2)
Southern Ocean modeling; and (3) education, diversity, and
outreach. This implementation plan will establish the schedule,
cost phasing, and allocation of resources needed to carry out the
Center's activities involving Princeton University and
approximately 15 other institutions, 24 senior personnel, 11
graduate students, 7 postdocs, and additional support staff.
* Oversee the planning, coordination, organization, and execution of
high-profile activities including the annual implementation plan
in support of the Center Director, Associate Director, Faculty and
External Advisory Board. **
* Coordinate activities of the Center's Research support staff to
establish and achieve common goals and milestones. Make
recommendations for streamlining Center processes and procedures.
* Assist the Center Director in developing and writing research
proposals for additional funding for research relating to the
Center's activities. Coordinate with department administrative
staff to facilitate the submission of same. **
* Draft correspondence and written reports such as the annual report
to the External Advisory Board; preparation of updates; analysis,
evaluation, and preparation of reports on the efficacy of various
* The incumbent must be able to become sufficiently conversant in
the scientific and technical dimensions of the Center's mission to
be able to clearly convey opinions and findings/data through
* Represent the Center at scientific meetings including presentation
of report results and exchange of information with the scientific
* Provideprogrammatic support to the Center's leadership team
including the Center Director and Associate Director and
coordinate activities of Education & Outreach Manager, Data
Manager, Web Developer and Business Manager.**
* Participate in the Center's Executive and Advisory Committee
*Operations and Administration*
* Responsible for budget development, budget oversight, and related
business plans, including coordinatingthe annual allocation of
Center funding to support research, education, outreach, knowledge
transfer, and Center operations' projects across partner
institutions and research teams.
* Responsible for overall adherence to policies and procedures as
well as for financial oversight of the entire project.
* Facilitate the sub-award process with all institutions involved in
the consortium. Review and evaluate concurrence with the
statements of work, review invoicing for work performed, and
ensure that the timeline for the work is met, including receipt of
* Participate in the development and enhancement of standard
operating procedures and guidelines for all matters related to the
* Plan and implementall project meetings and annual summer workshop.**
* Direct the activities of the Business Manager with responsibility
for administrative support functions and details of project
management including project financial status and forecasting;
verification of documentation; cost and schedule tracking;
approval of major purchasing decisions; subcontract management;
* Develop, implement, and evaluate programs and strategies designed
to enhance professional development and career advancement
opportunities for Center students, post-doctoral scholars, and
* Direct the preparation and distribution of marketing and
promotional materials about the Center's people, activities, and
events to organizational constituents via online and printed
newsletters, written correspondence, and social media in
coordination with department administrative staff.
* Coordinate assistance and information to visiting scholars,
including international scholars, as needed.
* Coordinate visits involving Center sponsors, high-ranking
university, government, and industry personnel, and other visitors.
* Collaborate with department administrative staff to coordinate
student, post-doctoral scholar, and staff recruiting, hiring,
training, and classification as well as ensuring the completion of
forms and documents including those related to Human Resources and
*_MINIMUM REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:_*
* Minimum 5-10 years of work experience in related science area or
the equivalent combination of education and research experience
from which comparable knowledge and abilities have been acquired.
* Strong organizational and management skills and good
judgment;responsiveness with the ability to handle multiple tasks
in a timely manner. Project management experience.
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills,
the ability to work in a dynamic environment.
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
* Active listening skills to develop relationships and build trust
and credibility with a diverse set of stakeholders. High level of
emotional intelligence, judgment, astuteness, and strategic
thinking. Ability to resolve conflict thoughtfully.
* Leadership and staff development skills which exhibit qualities of
integrity, trustworthiness, respect and team collaboration.
* Proven ability to work independently with limited supervision, as
well as the ability to manage others.
* Ability to work with confidential information, manage information
and data, work independently, and exercise good judgment.
·Ph.D. in related technical or scientific field is strongly preferred.
To apply, please link to https://jobs.princeton.edu,position requisition
Manager, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Program
Administrator, Cooperative Institute for Climate Science
208 Sayre Hall, Forrestal Campus
300 Forrestal Road
Princeton, New Jersey 08540-6654
Email: Lrossi at Princeton.EDU
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Es_jobs_net