[Dart-users] DART and obs_def_upper_atm_mod.f90

Tim Hoar thoar at ucar.edu
Thu May 19 13:08:23 MDT 2016

Hello all ...

I am interested in hearing from anyone/everyone who uses the
obs_def_upper_atm_mod.f90

I need to know who is using it - for what kinds of observations - and where
those observations come from (so I can test my changes).
I'm trying to ensure the forward operators for

SAT_RHO,                         KIND_DENSITY
GND_GPS_VTEC,                    KIND_GND_GPS_VTEC
CHAMP_DENSITY,                   KIND_DENSITY
MIDAS_TEC,                       KIND_VERTICAL_TEC
SSUSI_O_N2_RATIO,                KIND_O_N2_COLUMN_DENSITY_RATIO

work correctly across a variety of models. To do this, I need to know the
units of the observations,
and ensure that the models provide get_expected_upper_atm_density(),
get_expected_vtec(), get_expected_gnd_gps_vtec(), and
get_expected_O_N2_ratio()
the proper quantities. I have no reason to believe they are wrong, but the
way they are written now
prevents TIEGCM from assimilating GND_GPS_VTEC observations.

I also don't know if anyone is using 'CHAMP_DENSITY' observations,
particularly since the
observations/CHAMP/CHAMP_density_text_to_obs.f90  converter creates
'SAT_RHO' observations.

If you, or anyone you know, is using or is planning on using
obs_def_upper_atm_mod.f90, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks --

Tim Hoar
Data Assimilation Research Section
Institute for Mathematics Applied to Geosciences
thoar at ucar.edu
303.497.1708