[Dart-users] upcoming conversion from subversion to git

Nancy Collins nancy at ucar.edu
Thu May 12 10:49:18 MDT 2016

hello dart-users,

this is an early notice that the dart code repository will be migrating
from 'subversion' to 'git' at the end of this summer.  support for our
NCAR subversion server is being withdrawn as of Oct 1, 2016, so we'll
be migrating our code to the GitHub service sometime in august or
september.

we will post many other notices as the time gets closer, including more
'getting started' information for folks new to git (which includes much
of the dart development team).  for our users who only interact with
the version control system to check out the code and get updates there
should not be too much of learning curve.  a short (but different) set of
commands will get you a copy of the code just like before.

for folks who develop new features and want to contribute them back
to our repository there will be a bit more of a learning curve. there
are many online tutorials available since git is so widely used.

one set of tutorials can be found here:
   https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/

this set of interactive tutorials is from github itself:
   https://try.github.io/

there is an extensive set of video tutorials from an ncar class here:
https://www2.cisl.ucar.edu/user-support/training/library/using-git-centralized-and-distributed-version-control-workflows

much more information will be forthcoming over the summer as the
migration date gets closer.  it's been about 10 years since we migrated
our repository from CVS to SVN, so it seem inevitable that we'd be due
for another progression in our development tools.  thanks for your
patience as we make the transition.

nancy