[Dart-dev] want your input on DART repository changes

Tim Hoar thoar at ucar.edu
Sat Aug 3 17:31:23 MDT 2019

I am in the process of converting the svn DART repository to a git
repository that will be available on GitHub.
There will be a private GitHub repository for development of branches that
have private svn repositories.
After I verify the private GitHub repo is working correctly and has all the
desired content, we will create another
public GitHub repo with just the public branches.

This seems like the right time to make some choices.

Since a git repo traditionally has all the branches available, I was
wondering it it might be appropriate to adopt some
sort of convention about branch names.   Should all the branches based on
the 'pre-Manhattan' file layout start with a 'classic_'  prefix?
It would be easy to document that any 'classic_' branch is in maintenance
mode and will not get any more development.

There are a slew of branches that use the Manhattan layout ... most of them
start with 'rma_'  which means little to
most people. Compound that with the fact that there are some 'rma_'
branches that use the 'classic' file layout, and you see how
things can get misleading.

I propose that all the branches with the 'classic' layout get a 'classic'
prefix, and any branch that uses the Manhattan layout simply use
the branch name ... and we drop the 'rma_' from the branch name if
necessary.

The svn 'trunk' branch will be renamed  'classic'
The svn 'rma_trunk' branch will be named 'master'  (the traditional name
for git development branches)

Please weigh in with your preferences/opinions as soon as possible.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks -- Tim

P.S. Also please be aware that the svn repository has been made readonly.
We have a working git repository, but I want to
make the branch name changes (if necessary) as soon as possible and then I
will push to GitHub.

Sincerely,  Tim - on behalf of the DART team.

Tim Hoar
Data Assimilation Research Section
thoar at ucar.edu
303.497.1708