[Cowystats] CO/ WY ASA Note Jan 2008

Matt Pocernich mjpdenver at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:08:25 MST 2008

### Starship Troy - Wednesday Jan 16th
### Deadline for Topic Contributed Sessions
### Planned but not scheduled activities
My apologies for the scarcity of chapter events during the fall.  We
will try and be a bit more active this winter/ spring.
### Deadline for JSM Abstracts - February 4th - midnight eastern time.

Just a reminder that the deadline for abstracts for this years JSM
Februrary 4th.  For real procrastinators, the deadline is actually
midnight eastern time.  For more information please see

http://www.amstat.org/meetings/jsm/2008/index.cfm?fuseaction=abstracts

### Starship Troy

This has nothing to do with statistics - just socializing. Please join
us, or at least a few of us,  for dinner and/or a play.  Starship Troy
is performed at the Buntport Theater every other week.  It might be
described as a live sitcom.  It is close to improve - but the actors
have two weeks to come up with an episode loosely based on a randomly
selected suggestion from the audience.  For a much better description
see www.buntport.com.  The average cost of the play is $7 +/- $1.  The
play starts at 8 and usually ends before 9.  You can't make
reservations and it is relatively popular - so if you are going
directly to the play, I would recommend getting there by 7:45.  Did I
mention that these people are really, really funny?

If you are interested in food or drink, we will meet at El Noa Noa at
6 pm.   El Noa Noa is located at 722 Santa Fe.  It has much better
than average Mexican Food ( in my opinion.)

The theater is at 717 Lipan - just west of 7th and Santa Fe Avenue.
Please look at the website for directions.      The theater and
restaurant are 2 blocks apart, so you should be able to park once.

Reservations are not necessary, but if you think you will be joining
us - please send me a note.

####
Two planned, but unscheduled events.

David Banks from Duke University will be giving a talk via video on
the topic of statistics in human Rights.  This talk coincides with the
recent publication of  Statistical Methods for Human Rights by Asher,
Jana; Banks, David; Scheuren, Fritz J. (Eds.) .  Additionally, this
will be our chapter's first attempt to host a speaker remotely.   This
event will likely occur in mid to late March.

David Plati for the CU - Boulder sports department will be giving an
informal talk on statistics in sports.  This event will likely occur
in February likely at a pub in Boulder.

Statistics in Sports.