[Cosmic_announce] Fwd: Upgrade of COSMIC/CDAAC BUFR data products

Bill Schreiner schrein at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 2 17:08:15 MDT 2015

Dear Weather Center users of COSMC data,

Back in Nov 2014, CDAAC made available 3 months of COSMIC BUFR test files to NWP centers for evaluation that were generated with our new retrieval code. We have heard feedback from two centers related to increased vertical correlations in the new test data compared to current data we are putting on GTS. We would like to encourage the NWP centers to evaluate the new test data ASAP and if possible present any findings at the upcoming IROWG-4 NWP subgroup meeting in Melbourne. CDAAC would like to transition our new retrieval code into operations quickly because it produces more RO soundings than the old software, is more accurate, and we would like to end maintenance on the old retrieval software.

Hope to see you all at IROWG-4!

Thank you and Best Regards,
Bill Schreiner and the CDAAC Team