[Cosmic_announce] Edition 4 BUFR files expected soon!

Harald Anlauf Harald.Anlauf at dwd.de
Wed Nov 21 02:41:16 MST 2012

Hi Doug!

On Tuesday, 20. November 2012 21:06:28 Doug Hunt wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> The current version of BUFR files available from CDAAC and the
> GTS is edition 3.  By the end of November, the WMO wants all edition 3
> files to be phased out in favor of the more recent edition 4 BUFR files.
>
> The change is only a small difference in the header--all the values
> remain the same.  Attached are sample edition 4 BUFR files from the COSMIC
> and C/NOFS missions.

the attached data actually do show small differences to the data
disseminated via GTS (usually a few meters in impact parameter, and
also small differences in the bending angles), but the obs-model check
shows that the effective differences are much smaller than the
observation errors we apply operationally.

While running these data through our assimilation system, I noticed
that the field "originating center" is set to 175 (i.e. reserved for
other centers).  Is there a reason that you do not use the value 60
there, or is it an oversight?

> Next week we plan to start delivering these files.  Note that the version
> will change from the current '0001.0006' to '0001.0007'.
>
> Please let me (dhunt at ucar.edu) know if you see a problem with these
> files or need extra time!

Cheers,
Harald

--
Dr. Harald Anlauf
Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD)           | Phone:  +49 69 8062 4941