[Cosmic_announce] Change to CDAAC processing proposed

Doug Hunt dhunt at mail.cosmic.ucar.edu
Mon Dec 10 16:21:00 MST 2007

Hi all:  We are planning to make a small change to CDAAC processing which
should be invisible to weather centers, but we would like to notify you
first.

Currently we do not create BUFR files (bfrPrf) for a certain class of bad
profiles.  We are proposing to instead create these files, but mark them
'bad' in the bfrPrf file (the 'percent confidence' in the header set to
zero).

This will allow us to study this class of 'bad' profiles and perhaps
understand or even fix them.

This change should not affect any user who currently throws out
bfrPrf, wetPrf or atmPrf files marked 'bad'.  Regardless of this change,
weather centers should not use files marked 'bad'.

We plan on making this change in 1-2 weeks unless this proves to be a
show-stopper for anyone.

Regards,

   Doug Hunt

dhunt at ucar.edu