[Cosmic_announce] timestamps in ionPrf file names

Stig Syndergaard ssy at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 3 13:43:37 MST 2006

Dear data users,

Important note on time stamps in ionPrf file names downloaded from
CDAAC and TACC:

ionPrf files processed before 9/27/2006:
The time in the ionPrf file names represents the time when the tangent
height of the LEO-GPS link is at an altitude of about 150 km.

ionPrf files processed since 9/27/2006:
The time in the ionPrf file names represents the stop time of the data
used in the processing for a given occultation. For setting occultations
this is usually when the tangent height of the LEO-GPS link is near
the Earth's surface. This would be a few to several minutes after the
occultation rays probed the bulk of the ionosphere. For rising occultations,
the time in the file names may be a few tens of minutes after the
occultation rays probed the bulk of the ionosphere. This is because
we are using data collected at positive elevation angles in the processing
when such data are available. Thus, the timestamps in the ionPrf file names
since 9/27/2006 may not be that representative of the time of ionospheric
occultation. Currently, the indication of whether an occultation is
rising or setting can only be found in the corresponding ionPhs NetCDF files.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we are working on
solutions to make the times in the file names more consistent with the
times of the occultations.

Regards
-Stig Syndergaard

Stig Syndergaard, PhD
UCAR COSMIC Project Office                   Phone: (303) 497 2614
P.O. Box 3000                                  Fax: (303) 497 2610
Boulder, CO 80307-3000                        E-mail: ssy at ucar.edu