[CESElist] GLOBE Evaluator position
egeary at globe.gov
Fri Sep 5 13:46:05 MDT 2008
The GLOBE Program Office is looking for a full-time evaluator.
Please review the following position description and/or pass it along to
colleagues you feel might be interested in this position.
*PLEASE NOTE*: This is a new, full-time position. Initial consideration
will be given to applications received prior to Friday, September 19,
2008. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
UCAR Office of Programs - The Global Learning & Observation to Benefit
the Environment (GLOBE) Program
GLOBE is an international, inquiry-based education and science program
that unites students, teachers, and scientists in study and research
about Earth's environment. The goals of the GLOBE Program are to: a)
improve student achievement in science; b) increase scientific
understanding of the Earth as a system; c) enhance environmental
awareness of individuals worldwide, and d) inspire the next generation
of global scientists. The GLOBE Program Office (GPO) at UCAR is
responsible for facilitating GLOBE's operations worldwide, including
coordination with GLOBE Earth System Science Projects (ESSP).
*BASIC JOB FUNCTION*: The GPO Evaluator will coordinate the development
and implementation of GLOBE's 2009-2013 evaluation plans, with a
particular emphasis on helping GLOBE develop metrics, and collect and
analyze data to assess GLOBE's impact on K-12 students, teachers, and
other constituents. The GPO Evaluator will work closely with the
management team and with contractors hired to provide external
evaluation of annual progress toward strategic GPO and GLOBE program goals.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in evaluation of
complex science education programs including: instrument development and
deployment, methods and strategies for embedding assessment across a
variety of program areas, data analysis, and oral and written
presentation of results.
*DUTIES INCLUDE*: Leads the development and implementation of annual GPO
and GLOBE evaluation plans. A primary work focus will be on developing
strategies to assess the impact that GLOBE has on Students (e.g.,
conceptual understanding, achievement, research and workforce skills
development, etc ) , Teachers (e.g., understanding of and ability to
facilitate inquiry-based learning and grade-level appropriate scientific
research), and other constituents (e.g., School and/or community
impacts). Other activities include: working with other GLOBE staff to
assess and insure the quality of GLOBE products and services, to provide
data that will assist in the marketing of GLOBE products and services,
and to explore the potential of evaluation services and products to
* Conducts preliminary evaluation requirements analyses for
different GPO and GLOBE program components.
* Works with GPO staff to develop metrics and embed impact
assessments into online learning, professional development,
learning materials, and research activities.
* Develops or adapts evaluation methods and instruments as needed.
* Plans, manages, and participates in data collection and analysis
efforts in the context of studies, surveys, interviews and focus
groups as appropriate.
* Prepares comprehensive evaluation reports and supporting
documentation that present evaluation results.
* Provides other GPO staff with data to support GLOBE marketing and
Principal point of contact with external evaluation groups and sponsors
conducting independent analysis of and/or research on GPO and GLOBE
* Provides data and support to external evaluators who are examining
progress toward and accomplishment of strategic GLOBE Program and
* Prepares project-related reports, graphical presentations, data
tables and internal tracking reports to GPO sponsors as needed.
* Works with GPO operations manager and the external evaluators to
coordinate and ensure that all evaluation activities are carried
out as planned, on time, and within budget.
* Works with other GPO staff to facilitate the work of education
researchers funded to examine more specific aspects of the GLOBE
program (e.g. impact on diverse or special needs students,
benefits of collaborative student research to development of 21st
century workforce skills, impact on pre-service teachers, etc.) .
Education and Experience
* Ph.D. in education evaluation, preferably STEM education or an
M.S. in Science education with at least 5 years' relevant
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Thorough knowledge of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering,
Mathematics) education evaluation methodologies, research, and
tools, as well as familiarity with best practices in online
* Knowledge of U.S. and International science education standards
* Successful experience in conducting evaluation of complex STEM
* Proven ability to conceptualize, plan, and implement, high quality
evaluation at multiple program levels with diverse program
* Knowledge of federal requirements for protecting human research
* Demonstrated skill and experience analyzing and interpreting both
quantitative and qualitative data and synthesizing findings.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to work well with others.
* Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and respond quickly.
* Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines,
and use discretion and judgment in completing assignments.
* Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact
effectively with culturally diverse constituents and sponsors.
* Demonstrated ability to use word processing, database/spreadsheet,
presentation, and communications software.
* Ability to sit at a computer and focus on work for extended
periods of time (up to 6 hours/day).
* Willingness and ability to travel.
Boulder, CO, US.
Regular, Full-Time (R1)
To apply visit the UCAR Web site URL listed below
More information about the CESElist