CEDAR email: Recommendations for creating a healthy, more inclusive 2023 CEDAR Workshop by reducing transmission of illnesses

Jones, McArthur Jr CIV USN NRL (7632) Washington DC (USA) mcarthur.jones at nrl.navy.mil
Fri Jun 23 19:03:50 MDT 2023

Dear CEDAR Community,

One of the most cherished aspects of CEDAR is a sense of community. Our community includes people with greater potential risks from COVID such as elders, parents of children too young to be vaccinated, people who are immunocompromised, people with respiratory illnesses, and those living with people who are more vulnerable.  Additionally, anyone could experience longer term symptoms of COVID-191.  Rates of long COVID are estimated to be about 10%, and vaccination reduces but does not eliminate the risk of long COVID2. Repeated infections further increase the risk of organ system damage3 and long COVID4 .

Unfortunately, conferences are still high-risk environments for COVID-19 transmission (e.g., the recent, spring CDC conference5).  We know that we travel at our own risk, so we invite all those attending CEDAR to join us in creating a safer, more inclusive environment by taking steps to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 and other illnesses during the conference.   We can use what we learned during the pandemic to make the CEDAR conference a safer, more inclusive experience.

The CEDAR Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee recommends the following precautions.

  *   Per CDC guidelines5, please isolate and do not attend in-person sessions upon testing positive for COVID-19.  We recommend bringing at-home COVID tests as only a limited number of tests will be available at the conference.

  *   If you have COVID-19, or if you share a room with someone who has COVID-19, please contact the workshop organizers for help.

  *   Although masks are not required, wearing of masks is encouraged, especially in crowded areas (such as the plenaries, poster sessions and  workshops) to limit the risk of transmission.  Well-fitting N95s and KN95s are most effective.

  *   Please wear a mask following a known exposure to COVID-19.

  *   If you see someone wearing a mask, please be courteous and put yours on before approaching them or sitting next to them.

  *   Please consider testing before travel and taking precautions during travel to reduce chances of bringing COVID-19 to the conference.
We extend our condolences and wishes for comfort to those in the CEDAR community who have lost family members and friends to COVID-19.

We look forward to working together to create a safer meeting for all!  Thank you for your consideration!

Be well, Stay Safe, and Stay Healthy,
The CEDAR DEI Task Force