CEDAR email: CEDAR 2023 announcements; nominations to CEDAR Science Steering Committee

Larisa Goncharenko lpg at mit.edu
Tue Jun 13 21:24:48 MDT 2023

Dear CEDAR Community,

We are less than two weeks from the start of CEDAR2023.  By this time you’ve seen a number of CEDAR workshop announcements and solicitations.  We are pleased to see significant increase in the number of participating students and a strong international participation.

We are pleased to make several announcements for the upcoming CEDAR meeting:

-  Ruth Lieberman will be presenting CEDAR Prize Lecture on the Role of Tides and Planetary Waves in Atmospheric Vertical coupling on Mon, June 26
-  Mike Taylor will present a Distinguished Lecture, “Have Camera - Will Travel: Over 40 Years of Quantifying Dynamics and Impacts of Mesospheric Gravity Waves Around the World” on Thu, June 29
-  CEDAR is exploring multiple paths towards more diversity and inclusion. At this meeting we will have a discussion about mental health (Student Day, Sun, Jun 25), Women’s Breakfast (Wed, Jun 28), invited presentation on DEI in the American Physical Society (David Newman, Thu, Jun 29) and discussion about CEDAR DEI Task Force activities (Julio Urbina, Thu, Jun 29)
-  The CEDAR Science Steering Committee needs two new members to replace those who are rotating out; one of new members needs to be an international representative. Please nominate yourself or another community member for this leadership opportunity.  This is an important time to be steering the future of CEDAR.  Nominations can be sent to Larisa Goncharenko (CSSC Chair), Mark Conde (CSSS Chair-elect), or any CSSC member.  Help us make CEDAR better and more vibrant!

We are constantly working to change the workshop to best meet the community’s needs. Based on your experience this year, please provide your feedback and suggestions for improvements to CSSC Chairs or any CSSC member. The best time for suggestions is during or soon after the meeting.

The entire CSSC is looking forward to see you in San Diego soon,

Larisa Goncharenko, CSSC Chair

Mark Conde, CSSC Chair-elect

Larisa Goncharenko
Research Scientist