CEDAR email: ESWW2023 session on "Coupling in the Earth's Magnetosphere, Ionosphere and Thermosphere"

Doornbos, Eelco (KNMI) eelco.doornbos at knmi.nl
Mon Jun 5 03:08:06 MDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

The abstract submission is open for the 2023 European Space Weather Week. This year, the conference will be held in Toulouse, France from 20-24 November 2023.

It is now possible to submit abstracts to be considered for both oral and poster presentations, until the 29th of June. Afterwards, abstract submission will only be open for poster presentations, until September 10th, 2023.

Abstracts can be submitted via the ESWW2023 homepage: https://esww2023.org/

In particular, we would like to invite you to consider submitting an abstract to the session:

SWR-03 - Coupling in the Earth's Magnetosphere, Ionosphere and Thermosphere

We look forward to a week of interesting presentations and discussions in November!

Best regards,

Eelco Doornbos, Yaqi Jin, Lucilla Alfonsi

SWR-03 session description: The session focuses on the state-of-the-art understanding of the complex mechanisms ruling the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere (M-I-T) coupling and how they translate into space weather impacts. Such an understanding is fundamental for the development of effective countermeasures against disruption, failure and deterioration of vulnerable technologies, such as GNSS critical applications, HF/VHF/UHF radio communications and LEO satellites operations. In order to forecast, warn, and mitigate adverse space weather effects, a better understanding of the M-I-T coupling plays a key role. It is essential to improve the prediction of: geomagnetic storm-time behaviour of the occurrence of spread-F, polar cap patches and scintillation phenomena that can degrade navigation and communication systems, thermospheric density variability affecting satellite drag and the enhancement of field-aligned currents, just to mention a few examples. Another crucial aspect of M-I-T coupling is the interhemispheric symmetric/asymmetric response to variable drivers that, if properly predicted, could support regional space weather modelling. Contributed papers may address (but are not limited to) recent developments in modelling and forecasting, monitoring methodologies, data analysis, measurement campaigns and international initiatives related to M-I-T coupling and associated threats on systems, at regional and global scale.