CEDAR email: Call for Abstracts: AGU SA015 Observational and modeling studies of ionospheric irregularities and scintillation

Sebastijan Mrak Sebastijan.Mrak at colorado.edu
Mon Jul 31 10:41:57 MDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

We are inviting you to submit an abstract to our AGU session on ionospheric irregularities and radio scintillation. Students and early career researchers are especially encouraged to present. Please find the full session description below.

Ionospheric irregularities are the main source of radio scintillation that adversely affect transionospheric propagation including Global Navigation Satellite Systems. Scintillations are the most severe at low- and high-latitudes which are conducive to instability mechanisms pertaining to the magnetic field orientation. These irregularities with characteristic scales of the order of several hundred meters to a few kilometers in conjunction with larger-scale density perturbations impact radio and radar systems relying on the ionospheric reflections at HF frequencies. The generation mechanisms producing these irregularities are controlled by the background density, electric fields, plasma drift, neutral winds, and particle precipitation. We invite both modeling and observational (remote and in situ) studies pertinent to advancing our understanding of the role of various mechanisms and processes for the generation of ionospheric irregularities and their propagation impacts including scintillation, bending, and range delays.

Respectfully,
Sebastijan, Romina, and Matt