CEDAR email: CEDAR workshop on Challenges in high-latitude system dynamics

HUANG, CHERYL Y DR-03 USAF AFMC AFRL/RVBXD cheryl.huang at us.af.mil
Wed May 30 13:19:20 MDT 2018

We invite papers for our workshop on Challenges in high-latitude system
dynamics
(http://cedarweb.vsp.ucar.edu/wiki/index.php/2018_Workshop:High_latitude_sys
tem_challenges) to be held on Monday, 4 - 6 pm, 25 June in Santa Fe.  We
plan to have a number of short papers followed by a general discussion of
outstanding challenges. This workshop is coordinated with GEM FG "3D
Ionospheric Electrodynamics and its Impact on the
Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupled System".

Please contact the conveners if you would like to present in this workshop.
Contact information is below.

Workshop description:

The high-latitude region continues to challenge our fundamental
understanding of magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere (MIT) system science.
Examples of outstanding challenges include the variable responses to solar
wind driving in the auroral zones, polar cap and cusp, each of which has
been shown to exhibit phenomenology not captured in the established paradigm
of solar wind-MIT coupling. Recent observations of energy deposition and
dissipation have raised new challenges in understanding coupling and energy
transport across multi-scales. The impact of these observations has not been
explored but they can potentially bring a paradigm change to our
understanding of the high-latitude dynamics and MIT coupling, and modeling
efforts are currently under way. The focus of the Workshop will be on
dynamic and cross-scale processes at transition regions of the MIT in a
system-wide approach. We invite discussions on satellite, rocket and
ground-based observations, and innovative modeling of the coupling processes
in the high-latitude regions.

Cheryl Huang, AFRL (huangcyh at gmail.com <mailto:huangcyh at gmail.com> )

Olga Verghoglyadova, JPL (Olga.Verkhoglyadova at jpl.nasa.gov
<mailto:Olga.Verkhoglyadova at jpl.nasa.gov> )