CEDAR email: Abstract submission open for the 15th European Space Weather Week (November 2018, Leuven, Belgium)

Craig Rodger craig.rodger at otago.ac.nz
Wed Apr 11 05:43:35 MDT 2018

Dear colleagues

We would like to alert you to the upcoming 15th European Space Weather Week
(ESWW) meeting, and in particular Session 2. While the meeting is near the end
of the year in November, the abstract deadline is already fast approaching!

The abstract deadline is 18 May 2018
The meeting will occur from 5-9 November 2018 in Leuven, Belgium
Conference website: http://www.stce.be/esww15/
Session information: http://www.stce.be/esww15/program/sessions.php

Please consider submitting an abstract to our sessions, and travelling to
Leuven to attend this conference! We wish to particularly point out our session
on Space Weather impacts at ground/near-Space, and prediction/warning of these
impacts (session 2). The session description is given below:

Session 2 - Geomagnetic Storms - Ground and near-Earth Space Weather Impacts

Convenors : Craig Rodger (University of Otago), Mark Clilverd (British
Antarctic Survey)
Planned time: Monday 5 November 2018 (afternoon).
Invited Speakers: Daniel Welling (Univ. Michigan, USA), Mark Gibbs (Met Office,
UK)

Large geomagnetic storms pose a significant Space Weather impact through ground
and near-Earth impacts. Coupling via processes in the ionosphere, space weather
drives changes throughout the ionosphere and also in structures on the Earth’s
surface. One example is the hazard to electrical transmission networks as a
consequence of geomagnetically induced currents (GIC). The GIC-hazard is one of
the better recognised examples of Space Weather, appearing in many national
risk registers. Instances of damage to power network transformers have been
reported at high, mid and even comparatively low geomagnetic latitudes - recent
studies have even suggested there may be a risk around the geomagnetic equator
due to intensification from the equatorial electrojet. However, understanding
the origin of the hazard, and providing alerts to power grid operators is
challenging, due to the complexity of the physical linkages involved.
Understanding the coupling between the solar wind and near-Earth/ground impacts
may well require large scale dynamic models of the magnetosphere, for example
using MHD approaches. The measurement, modelling, prediction and mitigation of
the effects of Space Weather on the ground, such as unwanted geomagnetically
induced currents in power systems, pipelines, and railway networks are required
by the industries affected. In near-Earth space the same current systems lead
to atmospheric expansion and increased drag on LEO spacecraft.

In this session we particularly encourage submissions from those involved in
developing early warning of ground-level geomagnetic disturbances from solar
wind measurements, members of industry, and from those involved in the
modelling of the magnetosphere during geomagnetic storms with a regard to
understanding the processes involved in the generation of ground-level and
near-Earth disturbances.

Craig and Mark encourage you to submit an abstract:
http://www.stce.be/esww2018/program/sessions.php