CEDAR email: 2017 Mini-GEM Session: the magnetosphere - ionosphere - thermosphere (MIT) coupled system

Hyunju Connor hkconnor at alaska.edu
Fri Dec 1 17:41:56 MST 2017

Dear GEM and CEDAR scientists,

We invite you to our mini-GEM session titled “3D ionospheric electrodynamics and its impact on the magnetosphere - ionosphere - thermosphere (MIT) coupled system”. This session will be held between 15:30 - 17:00pm on December 10 (Sunday before the AGU meeting) at the Hilton Garden Inn - New Orleans Convention Center, 1001 S Peters St, New Orleans, LA70130.

We hope both GEM and CEDAR scientists to join our discussion on the MIT coupling topics and thus create synergy between the two communities for better understanding of a global MIT system. We have 8 speakers so far and here is the tentative schedule.

Evan Thomas: New statistical patterns of ionospheric convection derived from SuperDARN observations
Jennifer Carter: Two mechanisms for dayside polar cap auroral emissions under northward IMF
Alex Chartier: Puzzling Global (N+S) December Maximum of Polar Cap Patches Observed using Swarm
Qingyu Zou: Impacts of small scale electric field/particle precipitation on Joule heating: GITM simulations
Olga Verkhoglyadova: Semi-analytical estimation of energy deposition by Alfven waves into the ionosphere during storms
Robert Rankin: Suppression of the ionospheric feedback instability
Ryan McGranaghan: Characteristics of multi-scale field aligned currents and implications for the magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere system
Doga Ozturk: Response of the coupled M-I-T system to the March 17, 2015 solar wind dynamic pressure enhancement event, insights from numerical studies

You can also check the schedule at the following website:
http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/FG:_3D_Ionospheric_Electrodynamics_and_Its_Impact_on_the_Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere_Coupled_System#2017_Mini-GEM_Workshop <http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/FG:_3D_Ionospheric_Electrodynamics_and_Its_Impact_on_the_Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere_Coupled_System#2017_Mini-GEM_Workshop>

We are looking forward to your participation in our session.

Thank you very much,
Hyunju Connor, Binzheng Zhang, Gang Lu, and Haje Korth.

Hyunju Kim Connor
Assistant Professor
Geophysical Institute
University of Alaska Fairbanks