CEDAR email: AGU Fall meeting Session SM 029

Alexa Halford alexa.halford at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 13:14:04 MDT 2016

Hi all,

We would like to welcome you to submit an abstract to our AGU session (SM
029 ID#: 12578) on lower frequency wave modulation of higher frequency
waves and particle loss to the atmosphere. The full description of the
session can be found below and the web address to submit an abstract is
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session12578.html. As
all us conveners have roots in MN dontch know, our session is where all the
science arguments will be strong, all the plots will be good looking, and
all the posters will be above average.

And in the words of MN native son Garrison Keillor, Be well, do good work,
and keep in touch. Hope to see you in our session at AGU!

-Alexa Halford, Aaron Breneman, and Chris Colpitts

Understanding the scale and significance of ULF modulation of higher
frequency wave power and energetic particle loss rates.

Session Description:
Our understanding of radiation belt loss has come a long way in the nearly
60 years since the launch of Explorer 1. Observations from satellite
missions (e.g. Van Allen Probes, MMS, ect) can be greatly enhanced by
observations on the ground (magnetometers, riometers, etc.), in the
atmosphere (BARREL) and at LEO (various CubeSats), giving unprecedented
coverage of the magnetosphere.

Recent discoveries have shown significant ULF period modulation of higher
frequency wave power and electron loss, as well as global-scale coherence
in electron loss. Possible causes of these modulations include ULF period
changes in background plasma density, magnetic field, size of the loss
cone, modification of particle pitch-angle distributions, changes in mirror
location, etc.

This session invites observational, modeling and theoretical studies that
further our understanding of the source of the ULF waves, and the extent to
which they modulate electron loss directly, or indirectly via enhancing
higher frequency wave growth.

--
Alexa J. Halford
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy