CEDAR email: Call for Nominations for the 2014 Fred L. Scarf Award
pacassak at mail.wvu.edu
Thu Mar 6 11:18:29 MST 2014
The Space Physics and Aeronomy Section of AGU is seeking nominations for the 2014 Fred L. Scarf Award. This award is presented annually to a recent recipient of a Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) for outstanding dissertation research that contributes directly to solar-planetary science. Ph.D. recipients who have completed their degree requirements from 1 July 2012 to 31 December 2013 are eligible.
The major criterion for the award is the impact or potential impact of the research on the field of solar-planetary research. The awardee will receive $1,000, a complimentary ticket for the SPA dinner, a certificate, and will have the opportunity to deliver an invited paper on the dissertation topic at appropriate SPA session at the 2013 AGU Fall Meeting. The awardee will also be announced in Eos.
Nominations should be prepared by the research advisers and include the following:
(1) A nomination letter from the nominee's research advisor(s) outlining the impact or potential impact of the nominee's research on the field of solar-planetary science (2 pages or less)
(2) Nominee's selected bibliography, which should include a list of published and/or submitted papers as well as any presentations made related to the dissertation (2 pages or less)
(3) Up to three additional letters of support from other members of the thesis committee or other scientists familiar with the research – preferably on letterhead (2 pages or less each)
(4) Nominee's full dissertation
(5a) For a dissertation in English, a five-page extended summary of the dissertation that discusses the context for the dissertation, the major findings and their significance
(5b) For a dissertation in any language other than English, an extended summary for every chapter of the dissertation, written in English, that discusses the dissertation's context, major findings, and their significance is required
(6) (Optional) Nominee's curriculum vitae
Nomination information can be found on the web at:
All nomination must be made via the online system by Tuesday, April 15, 2014. For questions about how to submit a nomination, please contact Danica Williams at dwilliams at agu.org.
You can also contact the Chair of the Scarf Award Committee with questions at Paul.Cassak at mail.wvu.edu.
DEADLINE: Tuesday, 15 April 2014
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Cedar_email