CEDAR email: C/NOFS operations

GENTILE, LOUISE C DR-03 USAF AFMC AFRL/RVBXP louise.gentile.1 at us.af.mil
Thu Dec 11 16:12:21 MST 2014

Notice for the CEDAR community:  We now have sufficient funding to continue operations of the Communication/Navigation Outage Forecasting System (C/NOFS) satellite until May 2015.   All sensors are still working well, and this is a unique opportunity to gather a comprehensive set of low-altitude measurements as the orbit continues to decay.   For this phase of the mission, apogee is now below 600 km and falls about 10 km per month; perigee is below 370 km and falls about 1 km per month.   Predictions vary, but reentry is expected in 10-14 months.   We are interested in collaborative studies that leverage the low-altitude data to inform and improve current models of topside/bottomside dynamics and orbital drag.   Data are available as before from the Air Force Research Laboratory's C/NOFS Data Center at: https://acc1.afrl.kirtland.af.mil/.

C. G. Fesen and L. C. Gentile