[Wrf-users] "iofields_filename" in WRFv4.0

Esteban Abellan esteban.abellan at weatherintelligence.global
Thu Jun 21 16:34:53 MDT 2018

Dear WRF community,

I just compiled the latest WRF version and everything run perfectly. I
realized that by default the wrfout files do not contain the following
variables: raincv, rainncv, sfcevp, potevp, regime. This is not a big
surprise because the current version that I'm using (3.8.1) does not create
them either. So, I generated a one-line file, called "my_file_d01.txt":

+:h:0:raincv,rainncv,sfcevp,potevp,regime

and then I added it in the "namelist.input" -> iofield_filename =
"my_file_d01.txt", and now I'm getting these variables.

Now, I'm doing exactly the same thing with WRFv4 but I got the following
message when I run wrf.exe:

WRF V4.0 MODEL

DYNAMICS OPTION: Eulerian Mass Coordinate

 alloc_space_field: domain            1 ,            3224306996  bytes
allocated

med_initialdata_input: calling input_input

 Domain            1  Setting history stream            0  for raincv

 Domain            1  Setting history stream            0  for rainncv

 Domain            1  Setting history stream            0  for sfcevp

 Domain            1  Setting history stream            0  for potevp

 Domain            1  Setting history stream            0  for regime

 Input data is acceptable to use: wrfinput_d01

Timing for processing wrfinput file (stream 0) for domain        1:    0.35980
elapsed seconds

Max map factor in domain 1 =  1.25. Scale the dt in the model accordingly.

 n_moist,PARAM_FIRST_SCALAR           4           2

INPUT LandUse = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH"

 LANDUSE TYPE = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" FOUND          33  CATEGORIES
        2  SEASONS WATER CATEGORY =           17  SNOW CATEGORY =
15

INITIALIZE THREE Noah LSM RELATED TABLES

Skipping over LUTYPE = USGS

 LANDUSE TYPE = MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH FOUND          20  CATEGORIES

 INPUT SOIL TEXTURE CLASSIFICATION = STAS

 SOIL TEXTURE CLASSIFICATION = STAS FOUND          19  CATEGORIES

 W A R N I N G : Unable to modify mask for raincv.  Variable not found.
File: my_file_d01.txt at line            1

 W A R N I N G : Unable to modify mask for rainncv.  Variable not found.
File: my_file_d01.txt at line            1

 W A R N I N G : Unable to modify mask for potevp.  Variable not found.
File: my_file_d01.txt at line            1

 W A R N I N G : Unable to modify mask for regime.  Variable not found.
File: my_file_d01.txt at line            1

 W A R N I N G : Unable to modify mask for regime.  Variable not found.
File: my_file_d01.txt at line            1

 modify_io_masks: problems reading my_file_d01.txt

FATAL CALLED FROM FILE:  <stdin>  LINE:    1098

Set ignore_iofields_warn to true in namelist to ignore

If I "ignore_iofields_warning" = .true. then I do get the wrfout files but
without the above variables.

Please, could you help me with this issue?

Thanks a lot,
Esteban