[Wrf-users] Help in retrieving "surface roughness" parameter from WRF output

G. Hesselmans hesselmans at hermess.nl
Thu Jan 12 05:33:25 MST 2017

Dear Raju

I have posted the same question in September 2016 and got the following
answer from Nikhil Garg:

in order to get the roughness, you need to output a variable ZNT,
usually this is not added to history file like wrfout, for that purpose,
you will have to modify ZNT in the registry. check Registry.EM_COMMON,
there is a line
ZNT              ij      misc        1         -      i3rh    "ZNT"
               "TIME-VARYING ROUGHNESS LENGTH"          "m"
if your registry doesnt have 'h' in the 'i3rh', then just add 'h', and
clean -a, compile and you will have the variable in your history file.

The above solution was successfully implemented by IT at our offices.

Kind regards, Gerard

On 2017-01-08 08:21, rajuattada wrote:
> Dear WRF users,
> Can anyone suggest me, how to retrieve *surface roughness/roughness
> length variable* from WRF output ?
> Many thanks in advance.
>

> Regards
> Raju

Dr. G. (Gerard) Hesselmans
Director, Remote Sensing Expert

Tel:    +31 (0)527 745 073
Fax:    +31 (0)527 745 071
http://www.hermess.nl

HERMESS BV, Voorsterweg 28, 8316PT Marknesse, The Netherlands
Chamber of Commerce number 59154489 Disclaimer
<http://www.hermess.nl/pdf/DisclaimerHERMESS.pdf>

/HERMESS news:/ Weather forecast for all Dutch citizens
<http://www.hermess.nl/weather-forecasting/>