[Wrf-users] wrf snow output

Dominikus Heinzeller climbfuji at ymail.com
Fri Feb 27 13:08:29 MST 2015

Hi Ashish,

The WRF output files contain several snow variables that might be what you are looking for:

	float ACSNOW(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
                ACSNOW:FieldType = 104 ;
                ACSNOW:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;
                ACSNOW:description = "ACCUMULATED SNOW" ;
                ACSNOW:units = "kg m-2" ;
                ACSNOW:stagger = "" ;
                ACSNOW:coordinates = "XLONG XLAT" ;
        float SNOW(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
                SNOW:FieldType = 104 ;
                SNOW:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;
                SNOW:description = "SNOW WATER EQUIVALENT" ;
                SNOW:units = "kg m-2" ;
                SNOW:stagger = "" ;
                SNOW:coordinates = "XLONG XLAT" ;
        float SNOWH(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
                SNOWH:FieldType = 104 ;
                SNOWH:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;
                SNOWH:description = "PHYSICAL SNOW DEPTH" ;
                SNOWH:units = "m" ;
                SNOWH:stagger = "" ;
                SNO
        float SNOW_ACC_NC(Time, south_north, west_east) ;
                SNOW_ACC_NC:FieldType = 104 ;
                SNOW_ACC_NC:MemoryOrder = "XY " ;
                SNOW_ACC_NC:description = "ACCUMULATED SNOW WATER EQUIVALENT OVER prec_acc_dt PERIODS OF TIME" ;
                SNOW_ACC_NC:units = "mm" ;
                SNOW_ACC_NC:stagger = "" ;
                SNOW_ACC_NC:coordinates = "XLONG XLAT” ;

The SNOW_ACC_NC variable is output if the namelist option prec_acc_dt is used. You can also use SNOW and SNOWH to derive the (mean) snow pack ratio.

Cheers, Dom