[Wrf-users] Minimal number of variables to run WRF (climate experiments)

Dominikus Heinzeller climbfuji at ymail.com
Mon Jul 14 12:28:57 MDT 2014

Hi Jose

The following data is available on the UK ESGF node (in CMIP5 variable names; this is not the entire list of variables but the ones relevant for WRF). The surface variables are available at 3-hourly intervals, but you can just use the 6-hourly data (or interpolate the 6-hourly data to 3hrs in ungrib). Note that specific humidity is available at 6-hourly intervals, too (hus). This should be enough to run WRF, but it might require a few changes to the namelists (e.g., use_tavg_for_tsk to compensate for the missing 6-hourly skin temperature). This page might be helpful, too: http://www.meteo.unican.es/wiki/cordexwrf/SoftwareTools/CmorPreprocessor

3-hourly:
huss
tas
uas