[Wrf-users] WRFDA Errors over Water

Valerio Capecchi capecchi at lamma.rete.toscana.it
Thu Apr 3 03:53:41 MDT 2014

Dear wrf-users,
we're attempting to assimilate both conventional observations
(METAR/SYNOP/RAOB) and observed surface data (2 m temperature and 10 m
wind) with sensors on board of commercial ships in the Mediterranean area.
We want to evaluate the impact of ships derived data in an OSSE (Observing
System Simulation Experiments) framework, where the horizontal resolution
of the "virtual" truth is 1 km and the resolution of the numerical
experiments is 3 km.

Using a custom background error (with method NMC) we have the following
issue:
in the interface between sea and land we observe an anomalous heating of
the land near the harbors where the ships record the data.
Clearly these data affect improperly the assimilation.

Is anybody facing the same problem?
Thanks, Valerio
PS: WRF and WRFDA version is 3.5

On 13 February 2012 16:55, Sean Crowell <sean.crowell at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi, I am running WRF and WRFDA version 3.3.1 for an OSSE and I am
> getting some pretty large errors over bodies of water.  The inclusion
> of surface obs improves the analysis almost everywhere else (over a
> control run with no assimilation).  Are there any water specific
> settings in the WRFDA process?  I have the line "iswater = 16" in my
> namelist for updating the lower boundary condition file, and in my WRF
> namelist, I haven't changed the land use to MODIS, so far as I can tell.
>
> Is there any other obvious reason why the assimilation would degrade
> the solution over bodies of water?
>
> Sean Crowell

Valerio Capecchi
La.M.M.A.