[Wrf-users] question about "OUT OF BOUNDS" messages in fort.98

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Mon Feb 3 14:01:20 MST 2014

Hi Carlo,

As I recall, I did not implement any changes to address this problem because: a) my runs were not crashing, b) making the suggested change would raise other issues and complicate things. My experience with this problem was almost 5 years ago, and since then I haven't worked with WRF much. For what it's worth, I'm forwarding an email I sent to another user about this (see below).

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
253 Research Hall, Mail Stop 6C5
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030 USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org
Phone: (703) 993-5725
Fax: (703) 993-5770

Dear Yonghui Lei,

I got this forwarded message from Jimy Dudhia. It also includes my original message. Apparently, the OUT OF BOUNDS messages are produced by the Kain-Fritsch cumulus scheme, when the cloud top is above 50 hPa. Jimy suggested reducing the value of plutop, a variable in the source code file module_cu_kfeta.F in the 'phys' directory. Since I had already run quite a few simulations with the default value of plutop and the model top pressure at 50 hPa (p_top_requested in namelist.input file), I decided not to change anything. One obvious question is if you reduce the value of plutop, should you also reduce p_top_requested to the same value? I don't know what the answer is, because I never pursued this problem any further. You might post your question to wrf-users, so we could perhaps settle this issue more clearly.

Best regards,
Eric

wrfhelp,
This is probably a cloud top above 50 hPa. It may temporarily corrupt some cumulus tendencies
in that column. Setting a lower value of plutop might help,
Jimy

Begin forwarded message: