[Wrf-users] The problem about gen_be

liuyin liuyin200421 at 163.com
Sat Sep 18 03:12:36 MDT 2010

Hi:
    Recently  I use gen_be to generate my background error statistics .My WPS,WRF and WRFDA are all 3.2 vertion,and I use SGI 128 CPU computer ,the compiler is ifort .I have tested gen_be testdata,and it works well.But when I use my own data,the problem comes.After stage 4,the program shows FAIL.Then I view stage0~stage4  .log file,and I find the   gen_be_stage2.log shows that :
[3] Calculate eigenvectors, eigenvalues and inverse for psi/psi covariance
  Mode    Eigenvalue     Cumulative Variance      e(k,k)
   1      0.0000E+00               NaN      0.0000E+00
   2      0.0000E+00               NaN      0.0000E+00
   3      0.0000E+00               NaN      0.0000E+00
   4      0.0000E+00               NaN      0.0000E+00
   5      0.0000E+00               NaN      0.0000E+00
   6      0.0000E+00               NaN      0.0000E+00
   7      0.0000E+00               NaN      0.0000E+00
   There is no value in the log.But when I run the test case ,there is diffrent value in the log.
    So I think the gen_be is OK,the problem maybe comes from my wrfout.  My classmate uses WRF3.1 to generate one month wrfout ,then uses gen_be to generate BE,it is OK.So I also use WRF3.1 to generate one month wrfout ,but when I use a few days wrfout to test, the problem is still as above.
    I don't know how to solve this problem.Please help me.

  My WRF3.1 namelist.input is:

  &time_control
 run_days                            = 30,
 run_hours                           = 0,
 run_minutes                         = 0,
 run_seconds                         = 0,
 start_year                          = 2003, 2003, 2003,
 start_month                         = 07,   07,   07,
 start_day                           = 01,   01,   01,
 start_hour                          = 12,   12,   12,
 start_minute                        = 00,   00,   00,
 start_second                        = 00,   00,   00,
 end_year                            = 2003, 2003, 2003,
 end_month                           = 07,   07,   07,
 end_day                             = 31,   31,   31,
 end_hour                            = 12,   12,   12,
 end_minute                          = 00,   00,   00,
 end_second                          = 00,   00,   00,
 interval_seconds                    = 21600
 input_from_file                     = .true.,.true.,.true.,
 history_interval                    = 720,  720,   720,
 frames_per_outfile                  = 1, 1, 1,
 restart                             = .false.,
 restart_interval                    = 1440,
 io_form_history                     = 2
 io_form_restart                     = 2
 io_form_input                       = 2
 io_form_boundary                    = 2
 debug_level                         = 0
 /
 &domains
 time_step                           = 144,
 time_step_fract_num                 = 0,
 time_step_fract_den                 = 1,
 max_dom                             = 3,
 e_we                                = 160,    259,   256,
 e_sn                                = 140,    202,    226,
 e_vert                              = 28,    28,    28,
 p_top_requested                     = 5000,
 num_metgrid_levels                  = 27,
 num_metgrid_soil_levels             = 4,
 dx                                  = 45000, 15000,  5000,
 dy                                  = 45000, 15000,  5000,
 grid_id                             = 1,     2,     3,
 parent_id                           = 1,     1,     2,
 i_parent_start                      = 1,     38,    88,
 j_parent_start                      = 1,     38,    63,
 parent_grid_ratio                   = 1,     3,     3,
 parent_time_step_ratio              = 1,     3,     3,
 feedback                            = 0,
 smooth_option                       = 0
 /
 &physics
 mp_physics                          = 2,     2,     2,
 ra_lw_physics                       = 1,     1,     1,
 ra_sw_physics                       = 1,     1,     1,
 radt                                = 30,    30,    30,
 sf_sfclay_physics                   = 1,     1,     1,
 sf_surface_physics                  = 1,     1,     1,
 bl_pbl_physics                      = 1,     1,     1,
 bldt                                = 0,     0,     0,
 cu_physics                          = 1,     1,     0,
 cudt                                = 5,     5,     5,
 isfflx                              = 1,
 ifsnow                              = 0,
 icloud                              = 1,
 surface_input_source                = 1,
 num_soil_layers                     = 5,
 sf_urban_physics                    = 0,     0,     0,
 maxiens                             = 1,
 maxens                              = 3,
 maxens2                             = 3,
 maxens3                             = 16,
 ensdim                              = 144,
 /
 &fdda
 /
 &dynamics
 w_damping                           = 0,
 diff_opt                            = 1,
 km_opt                              = 4,
 diff_6th_opt                        = 0,      0,      0,
 diff_6th_factor                     = 0.12,   0.12,   0.12,
 base_temp                           = 290.
 damp_opt                            = 0,
 zdamp                               = 5000.,  5000.,  5000.,
 dampcoef                            = 0.2,    0.2,    0.2
 khdif                               = 0,      0,      0,
 kvdif                               = 0,      0,      0,
 non_hydrostatic                     = .true., .true., .true.,
 moist_adv_opt                       = 1,      1,      1,
 scalar_adv_opt                      = 1,      1,      1,
 /
 &bdy_control
 spec_bdy_width                      = 5,
 spec_zone                           = 1,
 relax_zone                          = 4,
 specified                           = .true., .false.,.false.,
 nested                              = .false., .true., .true.,
 /
 &grib2
 /
 &namelist_quilt
 nio_tasks_per_group = 0,
 nio_groups = 1,
 /

   I think my codes are all OK,maybe the old fnl files (my case uses 2003 GRIB1 fnl files) cause the problem?
   I look forward to receiving your reply.

                                                                                                                                                liuyin