[Wrf-users] Code to convert WRF.out into cylindrical coords ?

Hein Zelle zelle at argoss.nl
Wed May 21 01:19:04 MDT 2008

Alex Fierro wrote:

> I was wondering if any of you would know of a short open-source (or
> home-made) program in matlab or fortran to translate/interpolate the data in
> the WRF.out from the WRF cartesian grid into a cylindrical grid with the
> origin located within the hurricane center (i.e., where psfc=pmin).
>
> Kind regards and thank you very much in advance for your light,

Matlab can regrid WRF data with the function griddata, which uses a
triangulation routine for the interpolation.  It's slow, but mostly
works well.

The important part is to have a vector of source latitudes and
longitudes (e.g. the XLAT and XLONG fields from your netcdf output),
and to create a vector of target longintudes and latitudes.  You can
then regrid your data with

targetdata = griddata(sourcelon, sourcelat, sourcedata, targetlon, targetlat);

I wrote a C++ program myself to regrid WRF data to arbitrary CHIMERE
grids (netcdf), if there is an interest in this program I can ask if I
can distribute it.  If using MATLAB is ok then this is by far the
easiest route.  I have some sample matlab code available if you need
more assistance.

Kind regards,

     Hein Zelle

--

  dr. ir. Hein Zelle

  Project manager

  ARGOSS: Atmospheric, marine & coastal information, systems and consultancy.

  ARGOSS BV
  PO Box 61
  8325ZH Vollenhove
  The Netherlands
  Tel +31 (0)527242299
  Fax +31 (0)527242016
  Web  http://www.argoss.nl/

  Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer

  This message and its attachments can contain confidential and/or
  proprietary information which could be subject to legal privilege or
  immunity. Unless you are a named addressee or receive this email on
  behalf of a named addressee you may not use, copy or disclose the
  contents in any manner. Should you receive this message in error, you
  are kindly requested to inform the sender and to delete all electronic
  or paper copies. ARGOSS BV does not accept any liability for any
  errors or omissions in the context of this email or its attachments
  which arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor accept liability
  for statements which are those of the author and not clearly made on
  behalf of ARGOSS.