[Wrf-users] compiling WPS3 with NCAR graphics

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Tue May 20 13:15:14 MDT 2008

Hello Götz,

I have had the same problem in the past. On a linux machine, the solution is to add library specification flags to the NCARG_LIBS2 variable in your configure.wps file. The library name depends on what version of gcc you have on your machine. You can find out the version of gcc with gcc -v. You also need to have the correct version of precompiled NCAR Graphics binaries built for gcc 3.x or 4.x (both versions are available from the NCL site). If you have gcc 3.x, add the following flags to NCARG_LIBS2:

-L/usr/lib64 -lg2c

If you have gcc 4.x, add these flags instead:

-L/usr/lib64 -lgfortran

If you have a 32-bit machine, use /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org