[Wrf-users] gcc and gfortran builds?

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Fri Feb 29 06:48:46 MST 2008

wrf-users-bounces at ucar.edu schrieb am 02/29/2008 02:15:22 PM:

> Hi all,
> I'm totally new to wrf, so sorry for stupid questions I'm going to
> post :-)
> I would like to build wrf 2.2.1 using GNU compilers, version 4.2 or
> higher (since when OpenMP is supported...). Is this possible? Also,
> can anybody help me in translating other compilers flags in GNU ones
> (I mean, there are some PGI or Intel specific flags I can't use...).

This page may be helpful:

https://bi.offis.de/wisent/tiki-index.php?page=WRF-gFortran

However, note that I've had some significant differences in the output
between gfortran and PGI, so be careful to check the results after you've
built the code. I think g75 is officially supported (may be better), but
don't know about OpenMP in it. Based on my experience, the OpenMP version
of WRF seems to scale up poorly compared to MPI. For example:

https://srvgrid01.offis.uni-oldenburg.de/wrf-benchmark/case.pl?case=conus12km_2001

Regards,
Jan Ploski