[Wrf-users] WRF performance on quad-core Intel Xeon

Kenneth Waight ken at meso.com
Fri Dec 14 19:40:15 MST 2007

I've been doing timing tests with WRF 2.2 on a dual-cpu, quad-core
Intel Xeon 5355 2.66 GHz system running Linux, and getting some
puzzling results.  I'm running from 1 to 8 individual simulations
simultaneously, hoping to be able to make 8 individual runs on 8
cores efficiently.  A short test run scales up fairly well going from
1 to 4 cores, but the runs slow down dramatically going from 4 to 8
cores, so that the throughput increases hardly at all:

Number of simulations   Avg time for each run (s)      Acceleration
                                                    (tot sim time/cpu
time)
---------------------   -------------------------
-----------------------
          1                     1109                        13.0
          2                     1244                        23.1
          4                     1496                        38.5
          8                     2864                        40.0

Interestingly, the results are almost identical in making one
parallel simulation over 1 to 8 cores -- I can't get any advantage
when using more than 4 cores at a time.

The numbers are not sensitive to the Fortran compiler (PGI 6, PGI 7,
Intel 10), or to the compiler options (-fast, -O3, -xT, etc.) or to
the configuration (single threaded vs. MPICH, etc.).

This machine has 4 MB of cache per processor (I think), so 8 MB total
for the 8 cores.  The numbers are also not sensitive to the domain
size -- the performance is flat between 4 and 8 cores even for very
small grids, so it's not a case of using enough memory to cause
paging.  The modest domain (100x100x28) which produced the numbers
above uses about 4% of the total system memory for each run
(according to the "top" command).

Does anyone have an idea why WRF is not scaling up well beyond 2
cores per processor on this kind of quad-core platform?  Could it be
specific to the Intel quad-core chip?  I believe there is an AMD quad-
core chip, but haven't tested on that.  Thanks in advance for any
thoughts.

Ken