[Wrf-users] WRF on IBM world community grid

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Wed Oct 10 10:32:54 MDT 2007

wrf-users-bounces at ucar.edu schrieb am 10/10/2007 05:51:13 PM:

> Dear WRF users,
>
> The Climate System Analysis Group (CSAG) based at the University of
> Cape Town (UCT) is pleased to announce that WRF is being used in a
> joint project with a IBM to understand climate change processes in
> Africa using Grid Computing. Since the beginning of September, we
> made 'AfricanClimate at Home' available on www.worldcommunitygrid.org.
> Any home user can log to this site, download the project agent and
> start donating idle CPU time to our research by running WRF on their
> local machine. We would like to thank the IBM team for their effort
> in making this possible and also the feedback received from the
> model developers during the process.
>
> We would like to emphasize that this opens several opportunities for
> using WRF for this kind of platform. World Community Grid is a
> powerful tool used to perform the highly demanding computer
> simulations that normal model users face everyday. In our case this
> platform made possible to conduct the kind of research that would
> take a much longer time with the usual resources we have at our
disposal.

Hello,

Do you have a technical paper explaining in more detail how WRF is used?
In particular I'd like to know to what extent you employ parallelism - do
the worker machines communicate with each other during integration? How
does it compare to WRF in a HPC environment? Do you use the standard WRF
functions for checkpointing/restarting the model?

Best regards,
Jan Ploski

--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Jan Ploski