[Wrf-users] Minimum TKE with Mellor-Yamada-Janjic PBL

Kemp, Eric M. Eric.Kemp at ngc.com
Fri Apr 27 09:52:44 MDT 2007

Dear wrf-users:

My group is attempting to simulate TKE with the WRF-ARW model at 1 km resolution.  We have noticed from both simulations and the source code that the minimum TKE permitted from the MYJ TKE scheme is 0.1 m^2 s^-2.  We understand there needs to be non-zero TKE for the turbulence closure to work, but we would like to know how this current threshold was chosen.  An earlier paper by Gerrity et al. (MWR, 1994) lists the TKE initial condition for the Eta model as 0.00001 m^2 s^-2.  A number of this magnitude might be more realistic in the stable free atmosphere.

-Eric

Eric M. Kemp
Northrop Grumman Corporation/TASC