[Wrf-users] Fwd: PGI 7.0

Nathan Moore nmoore at winona.edu
Sat Mar 17 09:07:36 MDT 2007

Hi,

I noticed today that PGI has released an updated version of their
compiler suite, 7.0, which they claim is a major update.  Does it
work with WRF-ARW, is an update worth the hassle?  Now that I've got
the model compiled and configured with PGI 6.2 I'm loath to change
things.

My cluster is a bunch of dual-core Athlon64 linux boxes, REL4.

Nathan Moore

PGI's email:

Release 7.0 is a major update from Release 6.2-5 the last production
build of PGI Release 6.2.  Instructions to download Release 7.0 are
included below.  To upgrade, you will need to perform a complete
re-installation using the Release 7.0 download package.  You will also
need to update your license keys.  Your keys and instructions for
installing them are included below.

Features and enhancements in Release 7.0:
-  Support for 64-bit and 32-bit Microsoft Subsystem for UNIX-based
    Applications (SUA)
-  Preview support for 64-bit and 32-bit Apple Mac OS X
-  Support for SuSE 10.2, Fedora Core 6 and Windows Vista
-  PGI Unified Binary supports multiple 64-bit targets using
    directives/pragmas
-  PGI Unified Binary executable code size smaller by 5-90% compared to
    PGI 6.2
-  Additional F2003 Support including allocatable arrays, asynchronous
    I/O, stream I/O and ISO 'C' bindings
-  Expanded ANSI C99 compliance including compound literals and
    designated initializers
-  Enhanced GCC compatibility including gcc/g++ extended asm support and
    GNU statement expressions
-  C/C++ preprocessor improvements including predefined macros, print
    options and enhanced big macro support
-  Enhanced Windows compatibility
-  Support for new Intel and AMD processor instructions
-  Support for some proposed OpenMP 3.0 standards including stack size
    control and idle policy
-  Network installation option simplifies installation and configuration
    on large installations running multiple operating systems
-  User modules (shell environment) simplify switching between multiple
    compiler environments/versions
-  PGPROF profiler supports collection and display of hardware
    performance counter data on systems with oprofile installed

A complete list and descriptions of new features in PGI Release 7.0 is
available at:

        http://www.pgroup.com/support/new_rel.htm#new

Nathan Moore
Physics, Pasteur 152