[WHPI] WHPI news

Whole Heliosphere and Planetary Interactions whi at mailman.ucar.edu
Thu Sep 29 11:29:40 MDT 2022

Dear Whole Heliosphere and Planetary Interactions (WHPI) colleagues,

We have a few updates moving into the Fall for WHPI.

   1.

   WHPI Challenge event – Following the great discussions during the GEM
   and SHINE workshops this summer, we are planning on issuing a grand
   challenge event to the WHPI community. To determine a great interval to use
   as a challenge event, one that spurs a number of multifaceted
   investigations into the Sun’s connection to the heliosphere and its
   implication for planetary systems, we have created a spreadsheet of time
   periods for consideration
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1neQUSwyJTNKQsmMxccMpE3cz8znbZ66CnLvzxgZAbrM/edit?usp=sharing>
   .

>From now until October 15th, please add any intervals you feel the
community should consider for the challenge event, your reason for its
consideration, and what targeted science questions could be addressed with
such an interval.

In early November we will announce the grand challenge interval to the
community and begin hosting initiatives for studying the chosen interval.
Please direct any questions about this activity to Robert.Allen at jhuapl.edu.

   1.

   WHPI Show and Tell <https://whpi.hao.ucar.edu/whpi_showandtell.php>  The
   WHPI “Show and Tell” sessions have produced a library of tutorials on how
   to use a variety of models and data resources:
   https://whpi.hao.ucar.edu/whpi_showandtell.php

We are planning the next “Show and Tell” session (exact date TBD).  The
session format consists of 15-minute pre-recorded tutorial presentations,
followed by a 15-minute Q & A with the tutorial authors.

We have several tutorials slated for the upcoming session, but would like
to identify a few more.  If you have a resource that you would like to
present in a tutorial, please let us know by emailing
Barbara.J.Thompson at nasa.gov.  Additionally, if you know of a resource that
has not already been presented and you believe it would be useful to the
WHPI community, we welcome suggestions.

   1.

   WHPI special issue <https://whpi.hao.ucar.edu/whpi_AGU-special-issue.php> –
   This special issue welcomes papers related to presentations made at the
   WHPI Workshop as well as other submissions relevant to the goals of WHPI.
   Papers can be submitted to any of the following AGU Journals: Space
   Weather, GRL, JGR - Space Physics, JGR – Planets, Radio Science, and Earth
   and Space Science, from today through 31 Oct 2022 – not too late to
   submit!  See https://whpi.hao.ucar.edu/whpi_AGU-special-issue.php for
   more information.

   1.

   WHPI Colloquia <https://whpi.hao.ucar.edu/whpi_colloquia.php> – The WHPI
   colloquium series is starting again this Fall, and will feature talks from
   the special issue as well as other highlighted topics. The confirmed
   dates/speakers will be announced to this mailing list and put on our web
   page, where you can find past presentations
   https://whpi.hao.ucar.edu/whpi_colloquia.php

--
*Sarah Gibson *

Phone:  303 497 1587