[WHPI] WHPI Colloquia Series (August)

Whole Heliosphere and Planetary Interactions whi at mailman.ucar.edu
Tue Jul 28 08:46:05 MDT 2020

Hi everyone,

August’s colloquium will be on Thursday, August 20th at noon EST (9am Pacific Time). This month we will be hearing from Caitriona Jackman about space weather at Saturn, as well as from Laura Hayes on the effects of solar flares on the Earth’s ionosphere. Log in information is listed below, along with more information on the talks. As always, the colloquium will be recorded and uploaded to our website (https://whpi.hao.ucar.edu/whpi_colloquia.php).

Thanks!

-- The WHPI Team

Brief Overview of August Colloquium:

The presentation by Caitriona Jackman (Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies) will focus on in situ and remote sensing of space weather at Saturn. It will include an overview of Cassini measurements of the magnetic field, plasma, and energetic particles, characterizing the interplanetary medium at ~9 AU and the evidence for solar wind-magnetosphere coupling. The in situ measurements are complemented by remote sensing measurements, including UV auroral observations and radio emissions which can act as remote proxies for solar wind influence. With a complete 13-year Cassini dataset we have the ability to explore the influence of the Sun at Saturn over a solar cycle.

The presentation by Laura Hayes (GSFC) will discuss solar flares and their effects on the Earth’s ionosphere, with a focus on utilizing diverse data sets and visualizations. More information will be posted closer to the colloquium date on the WHPI website.

Topic: WHPI Colloquia Series

Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join ZoomGov Meeting

https://jhuapl.zoomgov.com/j/1611814069?pwd=L1VINU8zUGsyYys2MXRjdTgyK2E2dz09

Meeting ID: 161 181 4069

Password: 832686