[Whi] First Announcement - WHI Solar Physics Topical Issue.

Whole Heliosphere Interval whi at mailman.ucar.edu
Mon Feb 15 07:24:17 MST 2010

*Topical Issue (TI) of Solar Physics:*
**
*The Sun--Earth Connection near Solar Minimum: Placing it into Context*

We solicit manuscripts on this general subject for inclusion in a Topical
Issue (TI) of the journal Solar Physics that will be dedicated to the
science of the Whole Heliosphere Interval (WHI) campaign (
http://ihy2007.org/WHI/) and results related to WHI's science priorities.

The editors request that statements of intent be received from all
interested authors by Monday March 1, 2010.  The statements should include
(as close as possible to the anticipated publication):
(i) title, (ii) abstract, (iii) author list, (iv) estimated number of Solar
Physics pages, and (v) three suggestions for referees, preferably with
E-Mail.

Completed papers should be submitted by Friday July 2, 2010, and the
estimated publication date will be between December 2010 and February 2011.
Manuscripts will appear online as they are accepted, and manuscripts that
have not completed the refereeing and revision process by the cutoff for
hardcopy publication of the Topical Issue will appear in a subsequent,
regular issue of the journal.  In order to respect all participants, we will
push hard on referees to respect their deadlines and authors for revisions.

*Criteria for Relevance to the Topic:*

The Whole Heliosphere Interval (WHI) is an internationally coordinated
observing and modeling effort to characterize the three-dimensional (3D)
interconnected solar-heliospheric-planetary system - a.k.a. the
"heliophysical" system.  WHI observing campaigns began with the 3D solar
structure from solar Carrington rotation (CR) 2068, which ran from March 20
- April 16, 2008.  See http://ihy2007.org/WHI for more information.

This Topical Issue will include scientific results of the observations and
the models that are used to interpret the WHI data, including all of the
regimes that play a role in solar minimum heliophysics.  These
regimes include:

 - sub-photospheric structures,

 - the solar photosphere, chromosphere, and corona,

 - the inner and outer heliosphere,

 - Earth's magnetopause and bow shock,

 - Earth's radiation belts and plasmasphere, and

 - The ionosphere, thermosphere and mesosphere.

Additionally, we are expecting contributions that are linked to or related
to WHI but not necessarily centered on WHI observations themselves.  The
majority will be additional studies of the present,
possibly "unusual", solar minimum, and also how this minimum relates to past
minima.  However, because of the depth, length, and complexity of the
current solar minimum, one solar rotation is not enough to characterize it!
We have therefore identified two Carrington rotations that, along with WHI,
may be considered to "span" the current extended solar minimum, these are
CR2078 (17 Dec 2008 - 12 Jan 2009 when sunspots reached a 13-month minimum)
and CR2085 (26 Jun - 22 Jul 2009 when solar-wind parameters were at their
lowest, and which had continuous SOHO contact and solar eclipse
data/modeling.  These rotations provide additional focus time periods that
may enable intercomparison between analyses in the Topical Issue.  The
current-solar-minimum studies need not be limited only to the rotations
mentioned here however.

In addition, for those who are not already part of the WHI Team and already
subscribed to the WHI Mailing list (through which the majority of updates
and communications will be made), we invite you and encourage you to do so
(please see http://mailman.ucar.edu/mailman/listinfo/whi).

We remind you that the statement of intent (described above) deadline is 1
March 2010; this is essential for us to optimally match manuscripts with
referees and to expedite the process.  If, subsequent to submission of a
statement of intent it appears that the manuscript is not coming together on
schedule, please let us know so that we can adjust the attribution of
referees.

Please E-Mail: whi.sola at gmail.com with your proposed:
(i) title;
(ii) abstract;
(iii) author list;
(iv) estimated number of Solar Physics pages;
(v) three suggestions for referees; and
(vi) name and E-Mail of corresponding author if not submitter!

Sincerely,

Mario M. Bisi (Mario.Bisi {at} aber.ac.uk)

Barbara Emery (emery {at} ucar.edu)

Barbara J. Thompson (Barbara.J.Thompson {at} nasa.gov)

(Solar Physics TI Guest Editors)

and

Lidia van Driel-Gesztelyi (Lidia.vanDriel {at} obspm.fr)

John Leibacher (john.leibacher {at} gmail.com)

(Solar Physics Editors)