[Whi] Request......

whi at mailman.ucar.edu whi at mailman.ucar.edu
Thu Mar 13 09:52:38 MDT 2008

Dear WHI Participants,

      We are interested in collaborating with solar-imaging groups to
statistically correlate structure observed on the Sun with that seen in
the solar wind at 1 AU. We interested in this, as we are seeing
structure in the solar-wind plasma and magnetic field that corresponds
to 0.5 - 10 Mm spatial scales at the solar surface.

      If and/or when it is feasible during WHI, we ask that you image,
on any given day, the Earthward directed solar wind source region(s) on
the Sun. This solar wind is expected to arrive at ACE and/or WIND
typically 3 to 5 days later. The Earthward directed solar wind source
regions for any give date are being routinely predicted using the WSA
model. The predictions can be found at

ftp://helios.swpc.noaa.gov/pub/lmayer/WSA/FOOTPOINT_PREDS/GONG/

A "readme" file describing contents of the daily prediction files will
be located in this directory shortly. As most of you know, according to
the model, the solar wind source "footpoints" are normally found within
or at the edges of coronal holes. The WSA predictions will provide us
with our best estimate of where the Earthward directed solar wind source
regions are located on any given day.

We are most interested in magnetic-carpet imaging, surface
magnetic-field images, and granulation and supergranulation imaging.

      Thanks for your consideration and we look forward to
collaborations.

                   Nick Arge    (Nick.Arge at Kirtland.af.mil)

                   Joe Borovsky  (jborovsky at lanl.gov)

C. Nick Arge, Ph.D.

505-846-1965 (Office)

505-846-2119 (FAX)