[Stoch] EGU Session on Stochastic Parameterisation in Weather and Climate Models

Paul Williams p.d.williams at reading.ac.uk
Tue Nov 26 13:09:46 MST 2013

Dear colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to our session on "Stochastic
Parameterisation in Weather and Climate Models" at next year's EGU
meeting, 27 April to 2 May, Vienna.

Session description: The representation of subgrid scales by stochastic
processes in state-of-the-art General Circulation Models (GCMs) has
reached such a level of maturity that stochastic parameterizations are
now found in operational NWP models and GCMs. Among candidates for
stochastic representation are backscatter of vorticity from unresolved
to resolved dynamical scales, subgrid-scale convection, subgrid-scale
gravity waves in the ocean and/or atmosphere, and boundary-layer mixing.
We invite members of the numerical modelling community who are
investigating the implementation of these and other stochastic
parameterizations in both global and regional models to share their
experiences and results in this session.

Abstracts may be submitted via the following website:

http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2014/session/15181

The abstract submission deadline is 16 January 2014 (or 29 November 2013
for financial support applications).

Kind regards,

Paul Williams, Petra Friederichs, and Antje Weisheimer

Dr Paul Williams                Royal Society University Research Fellow
Department of Meteorology
University of Reading                                +44 (0)118 378 8424
Earley Gate, Reading RG6 6BB, UK         www.met.reading.ac.uk/~williams