[pyngl-talk] [ncl-talk] Can NCL or PyNGL add errorbar to the bar chart ?

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Sat May 2 10:06:44 MDT 2020

I'm sorry, I did not explain that very well.  NCL example XY_13 shows how
to add error bars to a line plot.  However, you want to add error bars to a
bar chart.

The added code at the bottom of xy_13.ncl, starting with "add error bars",
should work about the same way when making a bar chart.  Use the same X
values that are used to make the bar chart, and use the min and max errors
for the error bar Y values.

Be sure to set res at gsnFrame and res at gsnDraw to False when drawing the base
plot, as shown in XY_13. Then call draw(plot) and frame(wks) after the
error bars are added.

You might also want to look at the NCL "Box Plot" examples for an alternate
way to show bar charts with error bars.