[pyngl-talk] Unable to import ngl

Zilore Mumba zmumba at gmail.com
Tue May 7 15:31:07 MDT 2019

Hello, <pyngl-talk at ucar.edu>
I am trying to run python scripts for plotting data, from the ncl to python
transition manual. The scripts call nio and ngl.
I have installed anaconda3 and created an ncl_to_python environment as
follows:

conda create -n yourenvname python=x.x anaconda
conda activate ncl_to_python

Then following here
http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/pyngl-talk/2019-February/000276.html
I did:
conda update -c conda-forge —all
python -c "import Nio; print(Nio.__version__)"

the last command was giving me "no module NIO" as in the pyngl-talk
post above. I have followed  subsequent post and managed to install
pynio with:
conda install gdal; conda update --all

When I run the script I get:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "TRANS_contour_lines_on_map.py", line 41, in <module>
    import Ngl
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Ngl'

I have installed pyngl from source, but it does not seem to be seen. With
conda install -c conda-forge pyngl
  or
conda install -c conda-forge/label/cf201901 pyngl

I get:
PackagesNotFoundError: The following packages are not available from
current channels:
  - pyngl

I am working on ubuntu 18.04 32 bit on VMware as a guest on Windows 10.
Assistance will be appreciated.

Zilore Mumba