[Proflist] Mark your calendars: Special Symposium on the Joint Center for Satellite Data Assimilation in Austin, January 8

George Ohring - NOAA Affiliate george.ohring at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 4 08:19:44 MST 2013

This message is a reminder for those of you attending the 2013 AMS Annual
Meeting in Austin next week:

The Special Symposium on the Joint Center for Satellite Data Assimilation
will take place during the 2013 AMS Annual Meeting as part of the Third R2O
Conference on Tuesday January 8 (all day).

We will kick off the Symposium with a Panel discussion in the morning with
agency executives from all Joint Center partners. The expected panelists
are Mary Kicza, NOAA/NESDIS, Laura Furgione, NOAA/NWS, Bob Atlas, NOAA/OAR,
Mike Freilich, NASA, Fred Lewis, USAF, and  RADM Jonathan White, US Navy,
and the Panel will be moderated by Bill Hooke, AMS.

 The second highlight will be a lunch-time keynote given in a town hall
format by Dr.  David Titley, Deputy Undersecretary for Operations of NOAA.
Dr. Titley will be speaking about "The Role of Satellite Data in
Environmental Prediction and the Challenges for the Satellite Programs in
Todays Fiscal Climate".

The remainder of the program is reserved for contributed presentations,
many of them given by our own investigators. We in the Organizing Committee
believe that we have put together a compelling program (attached here), and
we hope that many of you will be able to join us at this inaugural JCSDA
event at the AMS Meeting!

Lars Peter Riishojgaard

Director, Joint Center for Satellite Data Assimilation