[Proflist] Today, JCSDA Seminar, 2 PM: Aonashi

George Ohring george.ohring at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 18 07:40:48 MST 2012

* *

*JCSDA Seminar*

*Title*

*Ensemble-Based Variational Assimilation Method to Incorporate Microwave
Imager Data into a Cloud-Resolving Model ***

*Speaker*

*Kazumasa Aonashi**
**Meteorological Research Institute
Japan** Meteorological Agency*

*Date,  Time & Place*

*Wednesday, January 18, 2012
2:00 – 3:00 PM, *World Weather Building, *Room 707*, 5200 Auth Road, Camp
Springs, MD 20746

*Abstract*

The goal of the present study is to develop a method to assimilate
Microwave Imager (MWI) brightness temperatures (TBs) into Cloud-Resolving
Models (CRMs). To address the non-linear relationship of TBs to the state
variables of CRM and the flow-dependency of the CRM forecast error
covariance, we adopted an Ensemble-based variational data assimilation
method (EnVA). In this presentation, I will report our recent studies on
the following problems in EnVA:

1)  Large-scale displacement errors of rainy areas between the observations
and the CRM forecasts;

2)  Serious sampling errors of cloud-physical variables because they were
confined to rainy areas.

In order to solve the displacement error problem, we developed the EnVA
that used Ensemble forecasts with displacement error correction. In order
to alleviate the sampling error, we are introducing the following ideas to
the EnVA:

1)    Use of ensemble forecasts at neighboring grid points;

2)    Classification of CRM variables and assumption of zero cross
correlation between different classes.

*Remote Access*

*Video:* 1. Go to JCSDA
Seminar<https://star-nesdis-noaa.webex.com/mw0305l/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=star-nesdis-noaa>and
click on the seminar title
2. Enter your name and email address.
3. Enter the meeting password: JCSDAseminars707
4. Click "Join Now".
5. Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
*Audio: *USA participants: 1-866-715-2479,  Passcode: 9457557
International:                    1-517-345-5260

*Contact*

If you would like to present a seminar contact George.Ohring at noaa.gov

*Seminar Files*

Slides available the day before and audio recording the day after the
presentation at  http://www.jcsda.noaa.gov/JCSDASeminars.php