[Proflist] RE: Fwd: Draft Bachelor's Degree Statement

Clint Rowe crowe at harmattan.unl.edu
Wed Oct 20 17:11:53 MDT 2004

Mohan, Rich, Alan, et al.

Isn't #5 (climate change or earth system science) an "atmospheric
science" course?  If so, the proposed recommendations already have
27 hours and Rich's proposal would raise it to 30.  Also, as I
suggested at the meeting, #5 is somewhat restrictive anyway and
should be rewritten to meet the goal Mohan (and his committee) said
intended they intended -- stressing the interdisciplinary aspects of
atmospheric science.  Climate change and ESS are not the only areas
where this can be done.  In my opinion, #5 should be moved into #1
as part of the atmospheric science curriculum rather than hanging out
with courses that might be offered by other departments, if it is to
be included at all.

In general, I agree with the ideal of a liberal education, but shouldn't
non-scientists be exposed to more than the 6-10 credit hours of science
they get as part of their "liberal" education?  Asking majors to take 27
(or even 30) credits in their chosen field, plus additional classes to
provide the necessary skills (maybe 27-32 credits?) leaves around half
of their college credits as their liberal education.  Granted, many
schools prescribe breadth requirements that constrain the possible
courses, but usually only within wide categories.

Just my $0.02,
Clint

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 14:52, Richard Clark wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Here's a copy of the recommendations that were made at the H&C meeting,
> including the statement on "27 hours." While I can appreciate your
> philosophical argument, and agree with it, changing the core requirements
> for a BS in atmos sci from 24 to 27 is not likely to impact the liberal arts
> core. Most, if not all, programs already have more than 27 semester hours in
> their required and electives block for the major.
>
> The rationale behind this recommendation stems from the way the semester
> hours are distributed in the revised draft - the one that Mohan presented at
> H&C. Bullet #4 specifies 3 semester hours of electives in atmos sci, and
> bullet #5 specifies 3 semester hours from the long list of what we would
> probably call electives, which also includes an undergraduate research
> experience or an internship. The group that made the attached
> recommendations argues that 3 semester hours was not enough to accommodate
> this important component of undergraduate education. Thus, we suggest
> combining bullets #4 and #5 into a 6 semester hour "electives" list, and
> adding 3 semester hours as a capstone experience. We think that given the
> trend toward capstone experiences, learning communities, and portfolios
> across the curriculum, that the capstone experience, which includes the
> undergrad research, internship, or a capstone course, would be a meaningful
> addition to the curriculum guidelines. Interestingly, the capstone
> experience is one that is coming from the general education community, not
> the disciplinary bodies. The liberal arts core is important, but in my
> opinion, this additional 3 semester hours will have no impact on its
> integrity.
> Thanks
> Rich
>

> Richard D. Clark, Ph.D.
> Chair, Department of Earth Sciences
> Professor of Meteorology
> Millersville University
> P.O. Box 1002
> Millersville, PA 17551-0302
> Tel: (717) 872-3930
> Fax: (717) 871-2079
> Email: Richard.Clark at millersville.edu

Clinton M. Rowe
Associate Professor
Meteorology/Climatology Program                  phone:(402)472-1946
Department of Geosciences                          fax:(402)472-4917
University of Nebraska-Lincoln                        crowe1 at unl.edu