[Proflist] Seeking returned Peace Corps Volunteers

Alan Robock robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 19 17:38:39 MDT 2004

Hi,

I will give a talk at the 4th AMS Student Conference the weekend before
the annual AMS meeting in San Diego in January describing Peace Corps as
a valuable experience for Meteorology graduates.  I know of a few
colleagues in our field who are RPCVs, but would like to list more as
examples for the students.  If you served in the Peace Corps, please let
me know.  I served in the Philippines, 1970-1972, before going to grad
school.  I taught teachers how to teach Meteorology in the fishery
vocational schools.

As you may know, Peace Corps has three goals: 1. Provide technical
assistance, 2. Teach them about our culture, and 3. Learn about their
culture.  Most people feel that the third goal is the one that is most
succesful, in other words the volunteers are changed more by the
experience than the country they visit, and I will emphasize these
benefits in my talk.

Alan

Professor Alan Robock
   Editor, JGR - Atmospheres
   Director, Center for Environmental Prediction
Department of Environmental Sciences              Phone: +1-732-932-9478
Rutgers University                                  Fax: +1-732-932-8644
14 College Farm Road                   E-mail: robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock