[Nsa] Future of NCAR Libraries (comment by March 11th)

Andrew Gettelman andrew at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 4 13:55:20 MST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

What should we use the NCAR libraries for in the next decade?

A NCAR/UCAR cross lab group has been asked to develop, a conceptual design
for the ML, FL and CG library spaces. This will include a prioritized list
of requirements.  The committee is doing this by consulting internal and
external constituent groups & synthesize. The committee will report to the
NCAR Exec Committee and UCAR President's Council. The input will go into an
architectural study this summer.

The NSA Executive Committee (NSA-EC) has described the process with some
background, and developed some ideas about 'use cases' for the library. If
you are interested, please take a few minutes to look over this presentation
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1XLBTJNrbBI78Sw3ZYtfntqqPDt-UXM5Gs2rcFETTMj0/edit?usp=sharing>
that tries to answer the question "What should we use the libraries for?"

What did we miss here? What should we use the libraries for (in your
opinion)?

Please add comments to the presentation, or send comments or questions to
me by Next monday (March 11th).

Regards,

Andrew

Dr. Andrew Gettelman   andrew at ucar.edu
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/andrew/
+1.303.497.1887
National Center For Atmospheric Research
3090 Center Green Drive,
Boulder, Colorado 80301, USA