[Nsa] Future of NCAR Libraries (comment by March 11th)

Philip Judge judge at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 8 13:23:09 MDT 2019

Dear Andrew et al.,

I suggest that the NSA consider the following proposal
to the NCAR management, something I suggested before
but which was not discussed.

I propose that all senior scientists and Sci IIIs are
 encouraged to take a sabbatical once every 7
 years, by offering only 50% salary every 7th
 year.  In this way for every 14 such staff we
 make room for another, and we serve the
 community.

I have taken advantage of the sabbatical program
whenever I was fit and able and due for a leave. I
can see no real downsides to this.   Perhaps some can.

Thanks

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 1:56 PM Andrew Gettelman <andrew at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> What should we use the NCAR libraries for in the next decade?
>
> A NCAR/UCAR cross lab group has been asked to develop, a conceptual design
> for the ML, FL and CG library spaces. This will include a prioritized list
> of requirements.  The committee is doing this by consulting internal and
> external constituent groups & synthesize. The committee will report to the
> NCAR Exec Committee and UCAR President's Council. The input will go into an
> architectural study this summer.
>
> The NSA Executive Committee (NSA-EC) has described the process with some
> background, and developed some ideas about 'use cases' for the library. If
> you are interested, please take a few minutes to look over this
> presentation
> <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1XLBTJNrbBI78Sw3ZYtfntqqPDt-UXM5Gs2rcFETTMj0/edit?usp=sharing>
> that tries to answer the question "What should we use the libraries for?"
>
> What did we miss here? What should we use the libraries for (in your
> opinion)?
>
> Please add comments to the presentation, or send comments or questions to
> me by Next monday (March 11th).
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew
>

> --
> Dr. Andrew Gettelman   andrew at ucar.edu
> http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/andrew/
> +1.303.497.1887
> National Center For Atmospheric Research
> 3090 Center Green Drive,
> Boulder, Colorado 80301, USA

Philip Judge       303-775-9863

Senior Scientist, HAO, NCAR http://people.hao.ucar.edu/judge/homepage/