[ncl-talk] Wind vector question

Leslie Hartten (CU) hartten at colorado.edu
Sun Sep 24 17:57:23 MDT 2023

Hi Debasish,

   If you want to do statistics with vector wind properly, you will need
to be using special functions.  This sub-specialty is called "circular
statistics" or "directional statistics".  I have found N. I. Fisher's
book (_Statistical Analysis of Circular Data_, Cambridge University
Press, 1993) to be the most readable of the few that are out there.  It
comes with lots of examples drawn from geology, meteorology, and animal
movement studies, which helps make sense of the new term names and
uses.  There are some errata collected over the last 30 years, and they
can be found at https://valuemetrics.com.au/resources/#other  There is
pretty solid MATLAB code available for circular statistics (see
https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/10676-circular-statistics-toolbox-directional-statistics),
and there may also be some for other languages.

   I don't have access to my copy of the book right now, but as I recall
RMSE is not actually an appropriate concept with directional data.
However, Fisher's book can show you what would be an appropriate substitute.

   Note that I've got no "ties" to Fisher's work other than I've found
it clear and useable.

Cheers,
   Leslie
--